Updated: Mar 8, 2021
What if our workspaces could not only boost productivity, but nourish our souls and fuel our creativity as well? At Julie Schuster Design Studio, we take a holistic approach to wellness, designing and decorating offices to improve functionality, health and well-being. Whether you’re working from home or back at the office in 2021, your design decisions must be a forethought – not an afterthought.
Boost productivity, spark creativity and nourish your soul all through the work week with 5 simple yet powerful design adjustments:
1) Be Kind to Your Eyes: Just like any muscle in the body, the eyes can get weak if overused. Challenging visual work, like reading in dim light, causes the eyes to strain and to become tired faster. Hence, lighting is one of the most significant factors for staying focused and feeling inspired, yet it is often over-looked and undervalued within our workspaces. Consider task lighting from multiple sources using natural bulbs and enhance access to natural light wherever possible.
2) Support Brain Function: Our brains crave order. Disorganization and clutter in the office have a cumulative effect on our brains, draining our cognitive resources and reducing our ability to focus. Keep your workspace clean by keeping surfaces clean and decluttering on a regular basis (i.e. small cleans at the end of each day, and a larger clean at the end of each week). Identify smart storage solutions that work for you and go digital whenever possible.
3) Get Clever with Colors: Never underestimate the impact the right wall paint can have in a workspace. Not only is color an easy way to refresh a lackluster room – the right hue can help increase focus and productivity. Soothing, earthy colors like greens and blues are grounding and can evoke a feeling of calm if you need to reduce stress. White light colors such as warm whites are great if you need to create a room free from distraction. Even a controlled pop of color in a floral arrangement or indoor plant can spark creativity (and provide a much-needed connection to nature).
4) Enhance Your Focus and Energy: Have you ever heard the expression “where focus goes, energy flows”? Focus and energy are essential components to creating and realizing a vision for your business and your life. Feng Shui desk placement is especially useful here. “Command position placement” is when a desk faces the office entrance giving you the power to “see” all the possibilities and opportunities that come past your door – which is important if you are to “invite them in”. This auspicious placement also relieves you from the discomfort of constantly looking over your shoulder to see who is entering or leaving.
5) Capture Your Best New Ideas: There is nothing more frustrating than when a good idea dissipates before your very eyes. Design your office so that you’re ready to manifest and record creative ideas however and whenever they come to you. I often advise clients to: designate a place to capture your best ideas; keep an idea alive long enough to write it down; use an electronic capture device like “voice to text” on your computer or phone; unblock creativity through movement; establish an ideation process; and empty your idea tank each day. Chalkboards, whiteboards, mood boards, brainstorming pads and post-it notes are useful tools to consider integrating.
These small but powerful adjustments will go a long way to boosting productivity and sparking creativity at work. Contentment and comfort manifest themselves into all aspects of our work, creating better office environments for everyone!
Need to give your office a boost instantly but don’t have the time or energy? Set up a consultation in March to receive 10% off.
Julie and her team have a passion for creating beautiful, engaging and functional spaces, focusing on both the physical as well as the emotional well being of your environment. Click on the links below for package details:
FULL SERVICE E-DESIGN PACKAGE A design collaboration done between client and designer done entirely online. Purchase the package below, submit photos of the space and existing furnishings you like to see incorporated in the design and a sketch of the space with measurements.
COLOR CONSULTATION PACKAGE Need some assistance in selecting paint finishes for your home? A design collaboration done between client and designer done entirely online. Purchase the package below, submit photos of the space and and fabrics.
FENG SHUI RESIDENTIAL PACKAGE Whether it is directing the flow of chi through the arrangement of furnishings, design or colors; Julie and her team can help you to create the spaces that support your vision of a balanced life, rich in the areas that matter to you.
HOME STAGING PACKAGE There is no second chance to make a good first impression. When the time comes to sell or rent your home, ease the transition and maximize return by helping your home look its very best.