I am thrilled and honored to have been invited to participate in the 12th Annual Design on a Dime Event for the second year in a row. The event is a fabulous way for New York’s diverse design community to come together and do what we do best, all for a good cause. The 3-day event will feature over 60 custom-built vignettes each designed using new merchandise generously donated by a variety of local sponsors. All items are donated and sold for 50-70% off the recommended retail price – you’ve got to love that!
Housing Works is a healing community for people living with and affected by HIV/AIDS. Their mission is to end the dual crises of homelessness and AIDS through relentless advocacy, the provision of lifesaving services, and entrepreneurial businesses that sustain their efforts.
Design on a Dime 2016 benefits Housing Work’s Hull Street Residence, a housing development that will offer 28 units of permanent supportive housing for single, formerly homeless adults living with HIV/AIDS. When finished, the Hull Residence will consist of a four-story building in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, and represents Housing Works’ first “from-the-ground-up construction effort” since the completion of their East New York facilities back in 1998.
– Official kickoff party for participants: Tuesday 1 March, 2016
– Opening Night Gala: Wednesday 20 April, 2016
– Open to the public: Thursday & Friday, 22 & 23 April, 2016
Metropolitan Pavilion: 125 West 18th Street, New York NY 10011
It feels GOOD to give back! Creating this vignette gives all of us, designers and industry partners, the opportunity to to be a part of something much larger than ourselves. As interior designers, we work in an industry fuelled by luxury and affluence. By participating in an event such as this, we are able to extend our reach by doing what we love to help those in desperate need. I see this as an important way to show gratitude for the manifold blessings in our lives; perhaps most importantly, that of good health.
MY SUPER SPONSORS (SO FAR):
– 2 Kazak tribal rugs by Tufenkian Carpets
– Neptune Freestanding tub, Artos Severin Towel warmer, St Thomas 1 piece toilet and Lacava marble top vanity by Metropolitan Home Hardware and Bath
– Nickel plated faucets, fittings and accessories by Lefroy Brooks
– Custom Wall decor and Art by Steven Peabody
– Custom Art by Debbie Viola
– Custom Wardrobe by transFORM
– Custom Chandelier by Crystal Renaissance
– Dressing Room Accessories by Waterworks
– Art by Su Hilty
– Furnishings by Atlas Showroom
Stay tuned on social media to watch this project of mine evolve over the coming weeks. For tickets, more information about the event, or to make a donation to this wonderful cause visit: http://www.housingworks.org/events/design-on-a-dime/